Have you ever heard of metabolic syndrome? According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute, about 25 percent of Americans have it. Folks, that’s a lot of people! The conditions that indicate metabolic syndrome are extra weight at the waistline, high blood pressure, low HDL level, High triglyceride level, and insulin resistance. If you have 3 or more of these conditions, it’s time to make some lifestyle changes. Here’s how you can help yourself:
1. Avoid all white flours. Use whole wheat whenever possible.
2. If you want a healthier snack, go for popcorn (without a lot of butter), instead of greasy potato chips.
3. Try barley or brown rice in soups and other recipes instead of
white pasta or white rice.
4. Cut back significantly on sugary foods.
5. Eat potatoes sparingly too. They are healthy in most people, but those who suffer from insulin resistance need to take it easy.
6. Avoid sweetened canned foods, such as fruit. Eat fresh fruit with the peels instead.